To remain in good academic standing a student must demonstrate acceptable performance in course work after being admitted to the graduate program.  This requires a cumulative 3.00 grade point average in all regular and non-regular coursework.  For Mathematics, non-regular coursework consists of:

  • Independent Study – MATH 695
  • Research – MATH 798
  • Seminar – MATH 592
  • Thesis – MATH 699
  • Dissertation – MATH 799
  • Supervised College Teaching – MATH 584. 

Overall, a 3.00 grade point average must be maintained in regular and non-regular courses graded traditionally (A through F). 

In addition, good academic standing requires satisfactory progress toward degree milestones. A student’s advisor and committee, as well as the Mathematics Graduate Committee, may render judgments as to whether satisfactory progress is being made toward the degree.

Failure to maintain a 3.00 grade point average will result in being placed on academic probation by the Graduate School as well as the loss of the Graduate Teaching Assistantship. The probationary period lasts for one semester allowing the student time to raise their GPA.  Students on academic probation who do not regain good academic standing will be dismissed by the Graduate School. 

However, new regularly admitted students will not be placed on academic probation or lose their Graduate Teaching Assistantship until they have completed 12 credits, or two semesters of graduate work, whichever comes first. 

A student whose progress toward degree milestones is determined to be unsatisfactory may be placed on academic probation.  The deficiency will be clearly documented in writing, stating the timeline for adequate improvement.  Failure to meet this improvement plan will result in dismissal from the program. For more information on the department’s dismissal policy, see section 8 below. 

Appeals Procedure:  Graduate students may appeal decisions concerning unsatisfactory performance.  Informal resolution of appeals concerning unsatisfactory performance is encouraged whenever possible before initiating a formal appeal.  The student should discuss the problem with the person or persons whose actions are challenged within 10 days following the adverse recommendation or decision. Typically, this is the student’s advisor or the Graduate Director.  If the matter is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction within 20 days following the informal discussion, the student may initiate a formal appeal by submitting the matter in writing to the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies. Please see section 8 below, and the Graduate School Appeals Procedure contained in the Graduate Bulletin for more information.