Graduate students traveling to a conference or workshop may request departmental travel support to supplement other funds.  Students are encouraged to seek funding from the conference or organization if available and plan ahead for application dates.  All travel must be pre-approved and a Pre-Travel document must be filled out and turned in to the department finance office.

$1000 per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) is available for graduate student travel.

Eligible students will receive

$500 – if presenting a paper or poster at the conference

$250 – if attending, but not presenting

  1. A Pre-Travel form is required even if the travel is not being paid through CSU (except in-state travel). Email the completed Pre-Travel form to
    • This must be done before you book your flight, but you can register for the conference before completing this form.  When traveling as a CSU grad student/employee the Pre-Travel form acts as your insurance in case of incident while traveling.Important information required on the Pre-Travel form:
      • The reason for travel is vital! Please provide a description of your travel and be sure to explain how your travel is a benefit to the University or research.
      • Explain fully what GTA responsibilities (teaching, grading, office hours, proctoring exams) will be missed and who will cover for you. Travel without this information will be disapproved.
      • Account/Funds paying for expenses section of the form must be completed. If you don’t know the account number at least give a description for us to use, ie; grad account.  We have around 200 accounts so we will not guess, you must let us know.
      • International travel requires a minimum two-week advance notice before travel. The section on International Travel must be fully completed and must include all requested information.
  2. Airfare must be booked through one of the CSU approved travel agents that can be found here.
    • When making your reservation let the agent know that CSU Mathematics will be paying for your flight. They will then contact the finance office for approval.
    • The finance office must have your completed pre travel form before they will approve the airfare.
  1. Rental Cars can only be reserved through one of these rental car agencies:
Name Phone # Code
Avis Rent a Car 800-525-7521 x 31695 A514145
Budget Rent a Car 720-527-0261 T143828
Hertz Corp 303-944-5728 65579
Enterprise Rent-A-Car & National Car Rental 720-275-5184 XZ12450
  1. A Post-Travel form is required along with itemized receipts showing proof of payment when reimbursement is requested.
  2. If you are not requesting a reimbursement you can email the finance office and let them know to close out the travel.
  3. Travel reimbursement requests must be submitted in a timely manner. Any travel not processed, and through all the approvals 60 days after your travel end date will be taxed.
  4. Per diem does not require receipts but please list the amount you are requesting or write yes if you are wanting full per diem.
  5. Per diem is only allowed for overnight trips. Meal reimbursements are allowed for the actual cost of meals up to the maximum allowable per diem rate without receipts. Employees are allowed 75% of the applicable per diem rate on the first and last day of travel no matter what time the travel begins or ends. The university will use the per diem rates established by the state controller. Day Trips (Single day travel) which start and end on the same day are not eligible for meal reimbursements.